Friday, March 25, 2011

Friday Forum - What are the barriers to more imaginative playground design?





Thanks to everyone who has used the forum so far to ask a question, leave an answer, or post a playground!

Don't think that you have to be an organization to list yourself as a 'playground person'...if you read the blog then you're a playground person.  One of the things that has happened as the blog has grown is that people get in touch with me asking about play organizations, or sites or providers, or just other interested people, in their geographic area.  Sometimes I can help, but not always.  The forum is word searchable, so if you add yourself as a playground person, say as 'Elmo, interested in urban playspaces, New York City', then anyone else seeking kindred playground spirits in New York City, or urban play, can connect. 

When you write a blog for three years, the question that naturally arises is 'Whew, how long am I going to do this?'  I've no idea WHEN I'll stop (not anytime soon), but I do know WHY I want to stop...because innovative playgrounds have become so normal that there is no longer a need for a blog that highlights them.

Towards that goal, I hope the forum will be a place we can talk about how to get there.  So on Fridays, I'll pose a question for discussion that I hope you'll help me answer.    Why AREN'T imaginative playgrounds the norm?  What are the barriers to better play spaces?  See you in the forum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment