Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Learning Community Playground, Rhode Island, Laurencia Strauss, 2008











I'm back...thanks for your patience. I'll ease into things by posting some of the playgrounds sent in by my readers...I'm always glad for recommendations!

At The Learning Community, a charter school in Central Falls, R.I., students spent recess on an old parking lot until a fourth grader wrote to Lowe's asking for help. They sent $110,000.

The new playground was designed by Laurencia Strauss, a Rhode Island School of Design graduate, as "part playground, part park, part sculpture" to provide space for both active play and quiet reflection. Creative use of inexpensive elements like round pre-cast stepping stones and galvanized water troughs, good use of plants...and the sandpit is a pool!
Lots more photos, including of construction (I love construction photos!) at the school's Flickr stream.

(Thanks Maggie L.!)

No comments:

Post a Comment