Thursday, May 15, 2008

Wooden Play Sculptures, Andrew Frost





The "chainsaw art' I'm acquainted with seems to consist of rustic carvings of bears or eagles from the stumps of fallen trees; rough and hard-edged.
The play sculptures of Andrew Frost of Derbyshire are far more finished, and imaginative. Above: "Wood Ant", "Alice in Wonderland Table", and "Dragon Boat".




The 'Canoe' idea (bottom photo) could perhaps be adapted by someone with less skill in woodcarving than Mr. Frost, and though I generally prefer the abstract to the literal in playground designs, I do like the realism of the hedgehog and hibernating toad as toddler seats/climbers. They're a lovely way to incorporate learning about indigenous wildlife into the playground experience. I would make sure to have a signboard somewhere so the parents and children could read more about the animals.

P.S. Coming as I do from the American Great Plains, it is always somewhat jarring for me to see American Indian idioms interpreted on, say, the hills of Derby. But still nice, and interesting that they form a part of children's imagination even so far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment